The Prayers of Jesus Companion resource for Wonderstruck Awaken to the Nearness of God book and Bible study
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Not only does God give us a voice, but He invites us to use our voices with Him anytime, anywhere. Through prayer we are given access to approach the One who holds all things together—a breathtaking invitation, indeed.God eagerly awaits every request, heart cry, desire, and expression of gratitude. No syllable, consonant, or vowel offered up in prayer escapes God’s notice. Yet despite the opportunity to bend the ear of God, many of us struggle with how we should pray, what we should say, and what a vibrant prayer life really looks and feels like. When asked how to pray, Jesus provided a specific prayer as a model known as The Lord’s Prayer. But as I’ve plied the Gospels to better under
Print out this document.
stand prayer, I’ve been taken back by the prayer life of Christ. The prayers of Jesus are marked by simplicity, brevity, and profundity. Only a handful of Jesus’ prayers are recorded, and Jesus’ teachings on prayer are limited, making every word all the more worth studying and savoring. Whether your prayer life is vibrant and active or struggling and inactive,
I’d like to challenge you to prayerfully consider and reflect on the following passages that reveal the prayers of Jesus. I’m still in the beginning stages of understanding prayer, plying its depths,
and laying hold of God. But my hope and prayer is that these passages will challenge and inspire you to go deeper in your prayer life than you’ve ever been before.
• As you read, circle or star any verses that pop off the page to you. Place a question mark next to those that beckon you dive deeper into God’s Word.
• Return to the question marked verses and dive deeper into the passages they come from to better understand the surrounding story.
• Reword these passages as a launching pad for your prayers and conversation with God.
• Ask God to increase your desire to pray each day.
• Ask God to take reveal anything He wants to add to your prayer life or remove in order to develop a stronger prayer life.
• Prepare to be astonished by the work God is doing in and all around you.